View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Am I ready for mid-limit?

Dcifr's comments are better than mine, but here's the deal:

The loose, every-hand-to-showdown low limit games to which you refer are the easiest games in the world to beat in the long term. This game, frankly, is quite common. If you're playing $9-18 at the Commerce, well, those games are often like a $3-6 showdown fest. If you cannot pound these games, probably for two big bets an hour, you are not ready to move up.

Secondly, as to the small sample size, you need to understand that winning 12 out of 15 hands is a totally irrelevant statistic. And, to be quite frank, if I ever won 12 out 15 hands with JJ, my suspicion would be that I'm in a pretty bad game.

I think the frustration of getting beat time and time again with good hands bothers you too much. You have to understand that you don't need to have 50% winning percentages with a certain hand to make it highly profitable. This means that you will frequently log losing sessions and will occasionally suffer utter disasters, no matter how well you play.

Keep reading these board, put in some hours at low limits, and reread the books. Coldcalling a raise with QTs is suicide to your bankroll in the mid/high limits, though at the low limits, you can probably get away with this play and not get killed.

And please don't call me Mr. And listen to Dcifr and the others, they have been around a long time, play in games way higher than me, and have a much better ability to explain things conceptually.

-Michael