View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Sklansky on Abortion

Not a bad post. I have a few disagreements though.

[ QUOTE ]
First of all as to whether abortion is "wrong". Well of course it is. And everybody knows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I detest this whole "right" and "wrong" thing. Let's say an unwed 19-year old college student gets knocked up. (say the rubber bursts) She finds out a month into it when she misses her period.

If she goes through with the pregnancy, she will have a few options: adoption or raising the child. Putting it up for adoption will leave her separated from her child for an indefinate period of time, and there is often a strong sense of guilt and attachment that accompanies this. Raising the child could put both the mother and child in an extremely precarious situation; the mother, unskilled in her profession, would have to absolutely bend over backwards to make any kind of living for her and her child. The drastically increased risk of poverty will lead to an increased chance of poor health, delinquency, and certainly a lower quality of life for the mother. Both options require her to go through a very difficult and physically demanding nine months, and all expenses incurred therein.

If she aborts the baby, she avoids these issues. There may be some guilt-related issues that ensue; it varies from person to person. Not all women are emotionally destroyed after their abortions. (I apologize for not linking you to a study; I cite this only from knowing three women that have had abortions and haven't been devastated from them)

The fetus at this point is a tenth of an inch long. All of its systems are underdeveloped. It does not possess the intelligence of a human child yet. The only argument that I can see against this is religious in nature.

I think it may be more correct for some and less correct for others, but I don't think that abortion is universally "wrong"