View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Pimp my Computer

I know there have been a lot of threads on this subject but the search function has failed me yet again. I am not very well versed in the entire language of video cards and such so try to keep it basic and forgive my retardedness.

Here is want I want. Basically, a kickass poker setup. I already have 1 2001fp Dell monitor and running it off a laptop. It is okay but my system gets slow with PT and I am looking for a desktop. I want to be able to 8 table or 4 table do other things at the same time. I will get a second Dell monitor. I want to be able to use PT, playerview, and watch a DVD or TV at the same time. The local CompUSA guy showed me this windows media center thing. That looked pretty cool. Does it work well with all these other programs running? I am not all that concerned with saving a hundred dollars here or there. I want to ZOOM.

Here is what I have looked at so far: Sony VAIO VGC intel P4 550 3.4 GHZ with 1GB RAM and ATI Radeon X600 256 MB video.

also looked at: HP intel P4 540J with HT, 3.2 GHz, 1GB RAM, same video card.

other questions: in a recent thread on video cards Nightwish suggested the Geforce 6800 with dual DVI.

I think that card is $430. Do I need that to run dual DVI and TV at the same time or is that overkill? Should I pick the components one by one and buy online or just go back to the computer store and pick one off the shelf?

I know someone recently went through the same thing so if anyone has a link that would be a great start.

Thanks is advance for the help.