View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Professional vs 2nd Income

[ QUOTE ]
People who play professionally often complain on these forums of boredom, burnout, and unhealthy emotional swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

People complain all the time about their jobs, usually to people that they work with. Who is an online poker player going to complain to? "Dude, I'm just taking a beating this week," he says to a friend. Friend replies "Dude, you don't have a job, what are you complaining about?" Misery loves company and an ear that understands...this is one place to find it.

I also think that many of the people who are attracted to becoming a professional gambler are predisposed to some of the negative behaviors you mention. The fact that we spend massive amounts of time alone, in front of a computer(or at a table where everyone around us is an adversary) doesn't help.

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't part-time play with a full-time or part-time job be healthier and add to your enjoyment of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that for many of us it would.

It does amaze me though, from posts I've seen on this site, how many people here are trying to do healthy things for themselves, who think about saving for the future, who plan ahead.