View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Yes, I limped UTG with 10 BBs

Since you're expecting it anyways I'll say it I hate the limp. You're down to <10BBs as the thread clearly states. Before limping I like folding.

Three reasons:
1) If you limp what's the best outcome? You get one or two other limpers hit a set and get paid off. Or it folds to the big blind who checks and then you take it with a bet after the flop.

2)If you limp since it's short handed many poeple realize you probaby won't limp aces here and one of the big stacks in LP/blinds may toss out a nice raise.

3)If you get a couple callers as you very well could with the big stacks in LP/blinds you're more than likely to get a flop you don't like and have to check/fold to a big stack who's betting just because it was checked to him. Or fold when 1 over hits and the big stack in the blind bets second pair and you have no way of knowing what it means and fold the best hand.

If you don't want to commit yourself but don't want to push I would min raise or even toss out t5000. It's amazing how many times late in a tourney this is enough to grab the blinds. And if a big stack reraises you can still dump your hand if it doesn't feel right. Even if the blinds throw out a loose call you will still have enough to push on the flop if checked to and take down the pot. This also most likely gets rid of the SB who probably calls most hands for half a bet in the unraised pot.

At a full table I don't like a push as much. But 7 handed my favorite move here is to push. Worst case you're up against an over pair. Best case you win a coinflip or get a loose call from a big stack with a smaller pair who figured your range of hands for a push from UTG is big. Most likely case though is that you pick up the blinds and give yourself a little more breathing room.