View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Huge pot, crap cards

Well, it's not a terrible one. One thing is for certain: you may actually be buying outs. It's not like you have AJ and most of your outs are already clean or aren't going to be cleaned (reverse domination). However, you aren't buying all that many. Only 3, tops, and that's giving the J's full value. You won't be too happy about spiking a 5.

At this table, however, I think you would have had a hard time not knowing that your opponents like to cold call on the flop like this. I think that a buying outs play works better at tighter tables and against fewer opponents. Against a herd of these donkeys, I don't think you're buying much. However, you do get to raise for value.

In summary, at your table, I like a raise for value. At a tight table, you can raise to buy outs, but you're spending just as much for half as many in this case. Conceivably, you may also buy the button and a free card at this sort of table. At a medium table, you should definitely call and keep people in the hand. You'd not like at all to have just one cold caller and everyone else fold.