View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Is alcohol the answer? If so, straighten me out OOT

[ QUOTE ]
I'll give this one a shot.

Practice makes perfect. The first few times I got drunk (when I was 15) I drank way too much, got really wasted and acted like a complete ass. You will learn to control your buzz.

Your body type and weight are key factors in determining how much you can drink. The average man is 6' and weighs 185 lbs. Generally a person of that size will absorb and process alcohol at a rate of about one beer/one shot per hour. Since most people drink faster than one beer an hour when they drink, the body cannot process the booze fast enough and that is why they feel buzzed. The bigger or smaller a person is will affect how much they can drink.

Alcohol affects everyone differently. It affects your inhibitions, your motor skills, your ability to think clearly and reasonably etc. You will need to drink fairly heavily a few times to know your limits and how you are going to feel.

You may not even like feeling drunk. It's not for everyone.

Hangovers suck ass. They are best prevented by:

Drinking sufficient amounts of water preflop. Gatorade also works wonders. I would say drink at least 1/2 gallon of water during the day before a night of drinking. Also a glass of H2O before going to sleep (if you have a girl in your room this will not cross your mind) helps.

Also before going to sleep take a couple asprins. This will prevent a headache in the morning. Avoid ibuprofin/motrins. They are bad for the liver as it is, but when combined with alcohol they are very bad for the liver.

The advice of cheese/meat products is poor. Those foods do not absorb alcohol well at all. Bread products are best. The best suggestion is a nice filling sub from Subway.

Foods like Mcdonalds hamburgers and fries are ok too, but for some people (like me) the grease mixed with liquor can give you mudbutt. Milder food works best.

Any food is better than no food though.

If I remember correctly:

Alcohol (and asprin) is absorbed into the bloodstream through the stomach. This is much different than most other drugs/foods. Usually the body absorbs nutrients through the intestine. This is why having food in your stomach that will absorb alcohol is important. Slowing the body's consumption of booze is critical.

Good luck and be safe.

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree on some, not on others.

First, most guys are neither 6 foot nor 185 lbs.

Second, hydration is indeed key. I would add that it's a good idea to have a bottle of water by your bedside. Tossing and turning is standard when you've boozed it up, even if you don't remember it in the morning, because booze interferes with your deep REM sleep and keeps you in a lighter sleep state, easier to wake. When you wake, gulp some water whether you need to or not. One of the best ways to prevent feeling bad in the morning is to pee once or twice in the night -- hopefully not in your bed. Gulp that water down; your body is going to need it to process all that booze. Drink the water even if you don't feel you're thirsty.

The advice about meat and cheese is actually good because it stays in your gut for a while and calms it down. Bread doesn't absorb all that well once it's chewed down and in your stomach for a while, and is a much lighter food. It will be further down your gut turning into poop instead of up top still calming your stomach and absorbing toxins like harder to digest things will be.

Mudbutt is very hard to prevent if you eat much when still heavily boozed no matter what food it is. Your liver and digestive system are overwhelmed by the booze, and your body will just try to shoot the toxic sludge out instead of compress it and drain it dry of fluid as normally happens.

Which brings me to another major life point: Carry a few of those individually packaged moist towelettes wherever you go. Great for when there's no toilet paper or your ass is so splattered or gooed up that the crap will just dry and stick to it instead of coming off with toilet paper even if you're down there scrubbing away for a grueling half hour. Moist towelettes are incredibly useful. P.S. you'll weep tears to see how much brown you can get off your ass even after a normal firm poop has been gone after with toilet paper. Poops leave a lot of nasty with toilet paper no matter how fastidious you are. Moist towelettes will prove it to you easy. Give yourself a going over with one before you get laid, too.