Thread: linear algebra
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: linear algebra

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be taking linear algebra over the winter intersession at my college this winter. Basically it is a semester divided by 3, so the class is accelerated. What can I do to prepare for the class itself? I believe it has an emphasis on matrices, but I'm not sure. My math grades are decent mostly A's and B's and that is why I'm attempting the class, what advice can anyone give.

-2nd year mathematics major

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your school offer a theoretical linear algebra course? This is what you would want to take as a 2nd year math major. Linear algebra comes up a lot in higher studies of mathematics, and it is essential that you have a sound foundation in the subject. For an outline of what a theoretical linear algebra course would cover, search for the book "Linear algebra done right" by Axler on amazon.com. IMO it's the best linear algebra book out there. An old but classical book on the subject is "Finite-dimensional vector spaces" by Paul Halmos.

Even if your course doesn't go into that kind of depth, it is worthwhile to read (and do the problems) in either of these books. Linear algebra is really important not only in mathematics, but in numerical/applied math, computer science (eg. graphics) and various other scientific areas. So even if you don't want to go to grad school, it's worthwhile to learn the subject properly now.