View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Do you guys have a \"time\" to start to steal?

Ok, I'm one of those guys who hates when people use a book as a blueprint. For me there is not a set time when I start "stealing." If it's folded to me on the button in the first level, I raise a lot of hands, but they aren't as "steals" really. If you recall Strassas "Hand with the Masters" where he button raised 75s first in, that would be a typical play for me preflop. I wouldn't be raising to steal the blinds, more to build a pot when I'm in position with a well disguised hand. I also might raise 87o, A2s, or K9s etc in that spot.

Probably the most important thing when deciding if I'm going to "steal raise" is the opponents at my table, especially to my left. The table dynamics should dictate to you when you should start raising any 2. When the bubble is approaching, especially in partypoker tournaments, the cards aren't really important. It is entirely about the situation. I say that about partypoker, because for some reason the bubbles tend to be much more weak tight. If I'm up against very tight opponents in the blinds, I'd probably start stealing earlier.

Another huge factor- is the size of your stack. With a huge stack I'm much more likely to splash around with mediocre hands from steal positions.

I know you say you'd be lost without HOH, but thats [censored]. I am where I am today because of the poker books I've read, but I also am not afraid to expand beyond them- and get a little creative. The only way you will ever be able to make critical decisions, and feel comfortable, is when you understand WHY you are making the decisions you are making. I realize you mostly play small stakes tournaments, where deception and unpredicability isn't all that important. But you want to move up eventually right? You want to improve as a player right? Well then get out of the shell and and stop thinking "what would harrington do?"