View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Libertarians: Closer to Liberals or Conservatives ?

[ QUOTE ]
But I find this very funny seeing as how the Conservatives have been the side that's taken away more individual freedoms, while appearing to hand out "economic freedoms".

[/ QUOTE ]

I deeply question this assertion. For instance, it is liberal Democrats who have authored/pushed through most of the laws (pre-911, at least) giving government the right to seize property on mere suspicion (asset seizure and forfeiture laws, purportedly to advance the "war on drugs", among other things), and laws which are invasive of privacy (banking laws such as the infamous "know your customer" law). By the way John Kerry has long been a major proponent and initiator of such laws and even an author.

Post 9/11, maybe it is conservatives who have pushed through more such laws; I don't know. But overall I think your claim is deeply suspicious.

Anyway, you titled your post about Libertarians; then went off on a tangent about Conservatives. Did any Libertarians author or help push through the types of laws you are bringing to attention? If not, what does the title of your post really have to do with the body of your post (other than the combination of the two being a cheap and unsupportable implicit sideswipe at Libertarians)?