Thread: Preflop 66
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Preflop 66

Thanks for the reply. My thought process (or lack thereof) was like this.

Lee Jones says to fold the first one. SSH says to call it, if the table is loose. The table was pretty loose (preflop anyway). Lots of players would see most flops, and then they seemed to fold easily. So, I made that cold call.

I've been following the advice in SSH that says I should focus more of my study as a newbie on post-flop play. So I just memorized their starting charts and read the text a few times, but haven't really studied the math behind it yet.

The second time, I was thinking that it wouldn't have been raised twice again unless I was up against some really good hands. As you point out, I completely ignored the size of the pot and focused on the fact that my 66 was starting to look pretty weak and that pairs don't like lots of opponents.*

When you say that it's 6-1 and I'm closing action, which is better than 2-1 when it's uncertain, I understand what you mean. I clearly didn't see that at the time, but it makes sense now. However, I don't understand how to calculate that 6-1 is high enough odds with a 66. Am I focusing on the 12% chance that I'll flop another 6? This is 7-1 I think. ( (100-12)/12 : 1) If that's correct, then is it the implied odds plus other long-shot outs that make my 6-1 pot odds worth calling?

(* This is what was going through my head at the time. I'm not saying that it's correct.)