Thread: Any cyclists?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Any cyclists?

I commute to work on a hybrid, Trek 7100. There are pros and cons. BTW, I have about 5500 miles on it in 14 months.

The cons include the fact that that this bike is too entry-level for the use I've put on it. I've replaced the wheels, four tires, rear cassette and chain. The stock wheels were too wide, as I don't ride off-road much. I now run 700cx23 wheels, i.e. road bike wheels.

Suspension front fork could be a pro or con. It adds to the weight, but keeps the aluminum frame from transmitting too much shock to the body. I'm OK with it.

It has all the necessary braze ons etc. to load it up with accessories. I have a rack and panniers on mine, I could still attach a trailer if I wanted.

The basically straight handlebars restrict hand positions. I'd prefer drops for longer rides.

Cost was about $300 stock. I put easily another three hundred into accessories and gear. Ebay is great for this stuff. I got six safety lime green T-shirts for twenty bucks, a reflective vest for eight. Do not skimp on some kind of tool, patch kit and a decent pump. I use the Topeak RoadMorph which I highly recommend.

Lurk around Bikeforums.net for more info than you'll ever want. I used to post there often, but finally got a belly full of the shrill lefty politics there.... can't beat it for good info though.

I would buy the bike again for my use. But, I really want a nice, fast road bike for fun rides as a backup [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]