Thread: Any cyclists?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Any cyclists?

I used to mountain bike a lot and I've done a bit of road riding as well. I ride to school when the weather isn't terrible.

The problem with the hybrid bike is that it's not as good as a road bike on the road nor as good as a mountain bike off of it. If you're riding off road a lot (probably not the case) then I would suggest a mountain bike. If you are riding only on the road then get a road bike.

Either way you would probably do well to get an old used bike at a garage sale or something. If you know anyone that knows about bikes have them help you. A friend of mine posted on craigslist that he was looking for a free bike and actually got one that way. It's an old road bike and in pretty good shape, it was sitting in somebody's garage forever and they were happy to get rid of it.

After tinkering with an old bike to learn how to fix it and riding a lot you should know more about what you want in a midlevel bike and will be more comfortable buying a new one then. Also, in case you don't get as much use as you expected (people often buy exercise equipment that never gets used) you are only out a little for the bike and for some tools.