View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Jumping into Stud/8 cash games, but I\'ve got some structure questions

[ QUOTE ]
From what I recall, the $.50/1 game at Party Poker has an absurdly high ante ($.25). The ante at $1/2 is also a bit high ($.25). The obvious adjustment seems to be to play faster and looser. With such high antes, will I be picking up a lot of bad habits that I'll need to un-learn as I start to move up in stakes? If so, what are they (so I can be consciously aware of them as I play)?

Are there any general tips for playing these super-large ante games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaron -

I would temper your notion of "faster and loose" -- think of it as being "slightly less tight." As for general tips - call more small pairs for the bring in (they still need to be live though!), and be more open playing lower end str8 draws and flush draws (again, they still need to be live).

In general, you should avoid doing anything in poker based on habit, no matter what the stakes might be. Being "slightly less tight" in lower limit games is good as long as you understand why you are doing so. When you move up, those conditions won't exist, and your poker acumen will realize it and make you turn up your nose at hands you might gladly at a lower stakes, looser table.