View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Discrepancy in Caro\'s Pro Poker Tells?

I found the book useful for exactly the reason state above -- it taught me what to look for at the tables. Observe the tells yourself, and decide what they mean.

Great example-- I'm playing 15-30 hold 'em. I'm heads up against a short stack (he's been bleeding himself dry), he's first to act. I have A8o. Flop comes ragged -- something like J-6-2. He checks, and turns and gives me the hardest stare-down ever witnessed at a 15-30 table -- eyes wide open, unblinking, hateful.

From recently flipping though Caro, I'm thinking that this guy is acting tough, trying to scare me out of a bet. I check to test this theory. Turn is another low card. He checks again while continuing the world's most evil stare. I bet and he calls, never looking away from my eyes. River is another blank. He bets and intensifies the stare. I call, thinking A high is good, and I'm playing the hand now based solely on his tell. He turns over some horrible hand, and my A high is good. His tell is confirmed -- strong = weak. It was blatant.

The point is, the book will teach you what to look for, and decide for yourself whether your opponent is showing natural tells or is acting. From my experience, if you pay attention, it is really obvious with a lot of players. A non-stop talker suddently gets quiet and grows interested in his hand. A guy is suddenly staring you down like he's ready to fist-fight. Someone bets and, contrary to previous patterns, he now won't make any eye contact with you. A guy stalls for an unusually long time to make a close decision. These things happen all the time.