View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Straddle Discussion

Last night at Canterbury Jimmy the Greek (one of the worst poker players you can imagine) wanted to start straddle rounds in the 30 game. I immediately jump in and say "Jimmy if you want straddles, I'm right here with you doing it" or something like that (I'm also seated immediately on his left, so I figure if he does then I will and hopefully others follow). BK says "I will if everyone else does." Naturally, he already knows the two people between him and me don't straddle, however, its quite likely a few of the people seated after him will straddle.

So yeah, Jimmy straddles, I straddle, then it dies. Inside I'm angry at BK but wait to till after we're done to tell him:

"If Jimmy wants straddles, you straddle. He is here to gamble, he likes to gamble, and it's your job as a pro to provide him with that. So what if 1-3 other people at the table won't join in, a lot will and whatever EV you are giving up by being one of maybe 5 people at the table straddling is more than made up for by the fact Jimmy is enjoying himself, will come back more often, and will stay longer to play when you are in the game gambling it up with him."

So lets say you are straddling along with approximately 5 others. Is this insurmountable EV to overcome just to make sure a big donater is happy? BK thinks so, I don't (this coming from a guy who has played 63s for 4 bets PF and then dark bet a flop with it from his SB in the 30 game).

Perhaps some of the guys with lots of B&M experience and knowledge can chime in here. Thanks.