View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: What THREE books would you recommend to a brand new player....

[ QUOTE ]
if you've got WLLH, ITH, TOP, and SSH, you'd be better off re-reading the books you already have -- two or three times each -- instead of buying new ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have three of those you mention but not ITH. I thought WLLH was great and went through it a few times. I still refer to it occassionally. I am mainly reading SSH now, and have read through about 75% at least once. I got into some trouble with SSH at first trying to be aggressive and overdoing it. I didn't understand some of the constraints on when to be aggressive. I'm still working on that, but I've calmed down and I went from -2BB on Party to +2BB.

Do the ITH fans think someone in my position might do well to get ITH at this point, or would it likely be good to just continue concentrating on reading SSH? I don't mind getting ITH if it would really help me, but I wonder if it would be taking a step backwards or maybe just sideways.

Also, it was mentioned that ITH has great starting hand charts. It was also written (above, I think), that HE4AP has great starting hand advice. How do these two compare in that area. I was thinking of getting HE4AP just for the starting hand section for now. I used to use the WLLH charts, and now I use the SSH charts. I have them about 80% memorized. But I don't have a good feel for fine tuning them. For instance, SSH says you can cold call two bets with any pocket pair in any position preflop. I have a feeling that might be subject to some refinment that SSH doesn't go into, or maybe I missed it.

Could someone expound a little on how the treatment of starting hands in these two tomes compare and contrast?

Thanks,
-TomBk