View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: A Note to \"WannaBe\" Pros

This is my first post here, I've been lurking awhile, but this really got my interest.

I'm 33, got a civil engineering degree and have been working full time for seven years. Yes, that's an 8 year graduation plan. I had too much fn fun. I switched majors 6 times and easily had enough credits upon graduation for a P.h.D. Too bad they were spread all over the place.

My first job paid $30k in 1999. I'm now in the mid six figures. I do what I went to school for. I build bridges & roads. Everything I thought I wanted. I've got money, I'm married (no kids) and live in SoCal. What could be better? Then why am I miserable. Everyone is proud of me. Everyone is impressed with what I do. I have a lot of respect and a bit of prestige. So, why am I miserable?

The past seven years are a blur. I've accomplished a ton, but at what expense. Hardly a vacation, and no change in sight. Daily grind is out the door at 6am, home at 6pm. No life. Weekends are a blur. The only saving grace I have is I haven't loaded myself down w/ kids, mortgage, car payments and debt like the rest of society. Why? Cause then i'd really be phucked and have this career tied around my neck.

What's the point? My best time was college...BY FAR. School itself sucked, but the social interaction, learning experiences are PRICELESS. It doesn't matter if you're not going to get a degree and use it. JUST GET IT. It's so much easier at that age than later. Life is a long road. Don't be trying to catch up. You won't regret having that degree.

If I had it to do all over again? I'd get my degree, and if I was in a position of talent or had any poker skill, I'd give it a shot and do what you love, I'd go for it. Who cares if what you do is socially acceptable if you're gonna wake up one day at 65 and not remember your life cause you did what everyone said you should