View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: No balls in my son\'s sack. He\'s 6. Surgery needed?

[ QUOTE ]
I too have heard that they often come down naturally, and at much later years than merely six years old. I don't know about your kid and your case and sure am not a doctor, but am just relating that I've heard that it's not necessarily a really big deal, much less one that requires immediate surgery.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not particularly good advice. True undescended testicles carry increased risk for testicular torsion, infertility, and malignancy.

Undescended testes at age 1 are already cause for concern. Few would recommend delaying surgery any later than age 2.

There was a non-surgical option available, but it is currently 4-5 years too late for it.

If these are true undescended testes, then OP will be very, very hard-pressed to find a doc who wouldn't be recommending surgery right now.

It is simply mind-boggling that they could be undescended testes if the child has been getting well-child exams along the way, however.

If the child has not had well-child exams then the OP has been quite negligent. Given that the OP said that doing a physical exam on his son was "padding the bill", I do still consider this to be a live possibility.