View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Thoughts and results

Initial thoughts:
My thinking was that the short stack didn't need much of a hand to push from the bb because he was getting good pot odds, early limpers would be reluctant to call or make an isolation raise for fear of those acting behind them, and late limpers were likely to be playing drawing hands that they wouldn't feel comfortable calling an all-in with. I figured that I was probably around a 60:40 dog against his range of hands and I was getting 66:33 pot odds so a call was marginally +ev. The call represented 30% of my stack though and I was concerned about losing chips that I could have bet at a greater +ev situation later. I thought for a while and grudgingly called.

Results:
Villain turned over Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I flopped both an oesd and a flush draw and made the straight on the river.
For the next hour my blinds were frequently folded to me and my blind steals didn't get played back at because people were afraid I'd call them and I got action on my big hands a couple of times when I shouldn't have.

After thoughts:
Villain in this case probably didn't understand short stack play and pot odds well enough to push with as broad a range as I gave him credit for so the call was probably neutral ev or slightly -ev. I was amazed that the table image I gained from this allowed me to bully with a medium stack so effectively afterwards. I don't know that if I'd called and lost that I'd have been as effective bullying with my smaller stack. In retrospect, I think I needed either a larger stack to make this call so that even if I lost I would still be able to effectively exploit the table image or I needed a better read that villain was capable of pushing with a broader range of cards.