View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Interesting Phil Ivey quote

Pretty simple. Weak calling station opponents think on one level. You can't bluff them, fancy play them, or move them off of a pair of aces with a king kicker. Optimat strategy is often best. As you go up the ladder and encounter tougher and tougher opponents you have to be UNpredictable in what and how you play. I know, with time, I can nail a weak opponent on how he plays and take advantage of it and I SUCK at poker in comparison to the pros. They can pick you apart so easily its sick.

You can't play like Phil in tournaments locally. The players are too simple and think on a one plain field. Thats we he comments so much about being bored the 1st few days. Probably Phils best opponents are those that think 2-3 levels higher than the simple fish. He now outthinks them and out plays them.

I would love to play the player in the tournaments I play in. But I can't. They are too simple. So in live tournaments I play tight till the final table. Now I play my opponents and alter from TAG to... well something looser. And it pays off. But thats because most of the players at the final table are a couple levels below my thinking or at my thinking. So moves can be made.