Thread: 1/2 PokerStars
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: 1/2 PokerStars

[ QUOTE ]
MP1 is typical 1/2 fish. I observed some hands he played and had made the following notes before this hand occurred:

Moron who only limps preflop, doesn't even reraise with KK, then raises on the turn AJ6A and is lucky that the preflop 3-bettor had QQ
Bets into a preflop raiser from out of position with just ace high, continued the bluff through the river and was called down.
raised preflop, probably with just high cards
limped in with 99 and made no bets on A25 flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be making a common mistake. You take the following facts:

*Your opponent is arguably bad, although I'm not sure how solid your read is (how many observed hands is "some"? you have concluded he's a "moron" based on, it looks to me like, 3 hands...I would actually say he's a noob, but has some sense of hand value, which makes him unpredictable, which is worse than "good" for Hero).

*You have a strong hand.

*He's the only one in when the action comes to you preflop.

And you reach this conclusion: I'm going to win the pot. QED. This led you to COLD-CALL WHEN YOU WERE ONLY THE SECOND PLAYER IN THE POT. This is almost never correct. If your hand isn't strong enough to 3-bet to isolate MP1, then you need to get out of the pot. Simple as that. (Incidentally, and this is going to be the only comment that I'm going to make on this hand, if you had 3-bet preflop you likely would have taken the pot down on the flop or turn, given your read, either by betting when checked to or raising when bet into.)

This thinking process grows out of an even more common problem around these forums: all opponents are donks, morons, morans, or fish. This isn't true. I don't know where you are in your progress in learning the game, but these "fish" certainly kicked my ass around the felt for a couple of months before I started trying to learn to play the game. And, just because an opponent doesn't play their two cards the way you, I, or most of the players in this forum would, doesn't mean that you're going to win.

This post boils down to a bad-beat, from your perspective, whether MP1 had the best hand or not (and, by the way, he had you beat), because you're focused on what a horrible player he is. From my perspective, thought, you played worse in this hand than he did.