View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Why Current Online Win Rates Won\'t Persist

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I refuse to read all these posts. But here is why you are wrong.

It takes money to play poker. You need substantial capital for a bankroll and to buy computers and pay for your internet connection. Just this investment alone will hinder people in underdeveloped nations from playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have read the whole thread as this was already addressed. Yes people in developing nations have a harder time getting computers then people from developed nations. Crayzee put up a good link explaining that. It is not impossible and many people in these nations already have computers. His link even explained how it is becoming easier to get computers for these people and that computer use in these places is going to take huge jumps in the coming years.

[ QUOTE ]
Now how did you learn to play poker? You probably bought a book and then lost a bunch of money honing your skills. I would venture to say that most players do not become profitable for several months. The people in these countries don't have the time or the money to invest in learning poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why fish in these places won't take up the game, and why the ones that do will quit very quickly. That leaves only sharks, and soon to be sharks to take up the game. The ops argument as I understood it was that the ratio from these countries will be different, and they will settle for lower wages then current professionals. This makes complete sense to me. The only real question is how likey is poker to become popular in developing nations. I think it is unlikely to happen in the near future, but it will eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

About the popularity. I travel to Argentina about 4 times a year and speak to a brazilian kid a lot. Poker is catching on down there. Getting popular among friends and more popular online too. It seems like to me they are about 2 years behind us (seems to to have explosive growth the year moneymaker won and it was televised on ESPN. And even if the game didnt' catch on, it certainly would among those who wanted to pursue it as a career. A job is a job.