Thread: Dignity
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Dignity

We are both coming from opposite ideologies so it's going to be hard to find any common ground. That said I don't think anything really meaningful is going to come out of this debate. It wasn't my intention to fuel a debate to begin with, actually. By "no hidden agenda" I meant I only wanted to hear others' opinions on this subject and not try to refute anybody. Just because I'm an atheist does not mean I'm always trying to convince believers they are wrong.

So far I haven't heard any convincing arguments that Christianity values human dignity very highly. You would be right in saying that Christians can have dignity and still be 'good Christians'. But, the amount of dignity (regard, esteem, self-respect) one has should be kept in check, no? If it gets too high it is considered 'prideful' (a sin). It would be better for the Christian to err on the side of humility and meekness than on the side of valuing oneself too highly.

If you don't agree with these last statements, Matt or BluffThis, I can look up corresponding scripture. Although I'm pretty sure this is pretty basic doctrine. Off the top of my head, Jesus says something like "the first shall be last and the last shall be first." He preaches humility, the sin of pride, etc. The OT teaches the infinite glory of god, the importance of not angering him by disobeying him. Nowhere do I recall any mention of the importance of human affairs, of purporting oneself with dignity, of there being any dignity to human life. Even if there is some minor reference to these things, it is hugely overshadowed by other doctrines, which makes me think dignity is of little importance to Christianity.