View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Your strategy for $25-$40/hr playing poker???

I need a certain amount of money each month from poker as well.

What I did was take the lowest BB/100 that I thought I would run at over a significant period of time and figure out how long I would have to play. I did not include Rakeback or bonuses in the equation.

For me at 5/10 full, I picked 1BB/100. So for me to achieve my financial goals and my bankroll growth goals, I figured I would have to play 24,000 hands a month minimum.

Figuring about 250 hands an hour(four tabling), I decided my goals for weekly hours should be 24. I then decided how to play those hours and made a schedule. This schedule is not rigid and I change it depending on what obligations (Work, Daughter, girlfiend etc.) However I do use it as a strong guideline.

The only thing I care about is getting in my hours and hands 24 hours/6000 hands. Usually I run over on my hands, I bank this overage to use for free days off. This has helped me care less about my results. If I am stuck $500 for the week I do not play more to make it up. Also I am pretty good about just playing my time, this has eliminated a major leak of mine of playing long sessions when I have been losing. If I am down 20BB when my 3 hours is up... that is the way it will be. But if I am having fun (ie winning and have good tables open) I may go an extra 30-45min. But the games have to be really good to justify this.

This is what works for me. It is not results oriented and it keeps me focused.