View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Dan Druff and Stars 100/200

I thank those of you who spoke in my defense.

A few points here:

1) Yes, I have run extremely poorly at Stars 100-200 lately. That was the whole point of my post on neverwinpoker. I had been running poorly there for a number of months, but only recently -- after one too many Murphy's Law type days -- did I finally come forward. It got to the point where even a non-conspiracy theorist like myself had to question things.

2) Someone mentioned that I was too easy to bet off on the river after a check-check on the turn. That's not true. Perhaps you were watching me completely miss every hand on Stars, to where I had less than ace high on the river. I've played at high limit games long enough to know that a bet on the river after checks on the turn doesn't mean you need top pair or better to call.

3) I have worked a lot on my shorthanded game in recent times, and I know it has improved. There is still room for improvement (actually almost anyone can say that), but I've actually played a lot of shorthanded poker during 2005. Sadly, if you've been watching me on Stars this year, you haven't seen it in my results, since I have run so poorly there.

4) I am not convinced that Stars is rigged. In fact, I wouldn't even say that it's probable. I have, however, gone through an odds-defying streak of bad luck there that has extended over many months and many tens of thousands of hands. When I say "bad luck", I'm not referring to losses, but rather a disproportionate number of hands where I either get drawn out on or am in a "great-second-best" situation. Those do happen, but this year it has been off the charts how much they have happened on Stars -- without the reverse (sick good luck) occurring for any length of time. Just an extreme case of negative variance? Very well might be, but I figured it was time for me to finally say something either way.

5) I don't care what some of you say. Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) needs to be sent off to military school, and Hobbes needs to be put to sleep. Recent events have shown us that friendships with tigers just don't work out.