View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: what to make of a huge loss

Here's a link to a post I made about this recently

A quick tip on how to handle a downswing

As for the $570, all I can say is congratulations, because now that you've had your first sizable loss, you're on your way to becoming a more serious gambler. I say "on your way" because the question is "how are you going to handle this?"

If you handle it well, you pass the test, and you can move on to the next challenge. If you don't pass the test, then you do not pass go, do not collect 2.5bb/100, and don't get any sympathy either after you lose your whole bankroll.

[ QUOTE ]
My post is more on the magnitude of my downswing. I literally feel extremely negative and feel like armageddon a.k.a. the destruction of my bankroll is near.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, stop right now. Its YOUR decision if you are going to go broke or not. This is not some cosmic unfolding of events. If you lose your roll, then you are to blame. However, if you take this issue seriously, here are some quick things that you can do:

1. Read Professional poker by Mark Blade
It has some very good practical tips for how to manage your bankroll.

2. Post more on the psych forum. It helps.

3. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. If you are a winning player, then you're lucky to have a better hourly rate than many people in bad retail or manufacturing jobs.

4. Drop down in limits if its appropriate for you. For more info on whether or not you should drop in limits, either use the search function or read Mark's book.

5. For now at least, try to replace some of your negative feelings with something positive. Ask a cute girl out to eat. Go to a club or a bar. Read a book. Go see a movie. Get riproaring drunk. Go do community service. Go exericise.

Best wishes,
Snowball