View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: SSH broke my game!

[ QUOTE ]

But what I really want to know is what in SSH do people find so "dangerous"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to, say, Winning Low Limit Hold'em, SSH recommends folding less with your marginal hands. In some cases it recommends playing marginal hands pretty strongly. In general it recommends folding less in large pots.

Many people already play too many hands and go too far with them. For them, the rule of thumb "don't fold in large pots" could cause problems if they don't understand the fundamental reasoning behind this idea which is that your expectation is a product of your winning chances times the size of the pot. (Btw, I think Ed Miller does a good job of communicating this idea.)

Also SSH stresses using bets and raises to protect vulnerable hands. Again, the fundamental idea is that there is a cost associated with betting and raising and there is a corresponding payoff in terms of increased winning chances. These values are always different for each unique situation, if you don't get into the habit of calculating for yourself the cost/benefit of each of your plays you could easily end up playing aggressively for its own sake and not making the most profit on your plays.

Here's a good example of someone thinking beyond the "raise to protect your vulnerable hand" and getting greater value because of it: Stellar Wind's Difficult 99 Hand. Whether you agree with his play or not, you have to admire this example of someone seeing past the rules of thumb to understand the thinking process behind them.

/mc