Thread: Did I cheat?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Did I cheat?

[ QUOTE ]
I love this post. You didn't cheat. But you do suck at poker. Raise the flop, bet the turn enough to price out his straight draw. And if you want to be cute, call the river. Smarter play, though, is to raise and then DON'T show your hand. What the hell were you thinking showing your irrational play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I find all this criticism of my play very entertaining. I don't think I played the hand perfectly, probably the result of playing at 6AM and not often being in a situation where I know my opponents hand, and then acting too quickly. Not that I had been asking about strategy, or I would have provided more specific detail, but here is my rationale anyway...

preflop
villain utg+1 raises to 15 (crazy lag with the table covered)
hero utg+2 calls 15 with QJ offsuit (~500 in stack)

I had been playing very tight and only called here because of huge implied odds

Flop Q 10 x, two clubs
This is where I see villains J-9
he bets 40
I call

Turn blank
villain checks, hero bets 50, villain calls

At this point I have absolutely no interest in pushing him off his hand because there is clearly no chance I will pay him off, but a large chance I can get him to pay me off, most likely by pairing one of his cards, or by bluffing a scare card...

River A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] completing the flush draw
Villain insta-bets 100, representing a flush I know he does not have
I min raise to 200, specifically to leave half my stack behind so he might make a move.
Unfortunately he turbo-mucked.

I showed my cards cause he was a jerk and was convinced I had the flush, but also cause I knew I was getting up from the table in two hands anyway to leave the city. So I was not too worried about table image at that point.

Anyway, please tell me a line that makes me more money. I think I could have raised the flop or bet more on the turn, but the whole point was to seem passive so he would get aggressive when I knew I had him beat. Ok, flame away.