View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: 88 and AQ, tough spots

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny/interesting that you guys were playing at the same table. Does this happen a lot on the forums?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it happens too much, but I'm sure it's happened before -- it's the first time it's happened to me, anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
3 betting would be good if you think that villian will call down or raise with a worse hand; definitely better than trying to c/r the river which could get checked through. And you lose a bet if you stop and go, which obviously seems stupid to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have position here so I don't have to worry about the river getting checked through. I guess the breakdown of arguments (on my side) is something like:

(a) If my 3-bet forces Villain (Storky) to go in to calldown mode, then it doesn't matter what I do. Though if the river is a 7, I think I'll be happy I got the bets in on the turn.
(b) If my 3-bet causes an aggressive Villain to cap I'm happy since my hand is only behind a full house and it's more likely that he has top pair or a pocket pair.
(c) If my 3-bet causes a wily Villain to fold (say, a pair of 8's) then I'm sad. I might have made more by calling and raising the river.

So I weighed those options and went with 3-betting. I'm still not sure it was right, but it seems better the more I look at it.