View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: AK Early Tourney - Getting away from it.

Good post, I have usually gone up in flames on hands like these also. I think I've made progress in being able to sometimes get away from them. Here's show I see it. I think my chip counts are right:

Now after he check raises you on the flop, you have ~1400 left and the pot is 1060. On the turn, he checks to you. You bet half your stack ( ~700) and he c/r's you all in....you are facing a $700 call with a pot of
3150 or so, or 4.5 / 1.

Although it's possible Villain is maniacal, he has given you two strong clues you are behind, the most important being the min raise on the flop. MInimum raises are a huge red flag to me. The turn c/r is also huge of course. He's not bluffing.

After the turn check raise, I would have to put him on A6, A7, 66, 77, 0r 67. ( 66 and 77 are the least likely, he'd probably slow play them). You are drawing really thin or dead right now.

I think he'd be calling down, not checkraising, with TPMK like AT, no?

If you fold you are still in reasonable shape. In this situation I have virtually always regretted calling. Take your medicine and fold. You were deep enough (barely) to get the info you needed to get out of this.

BTW I think you played it fine. If you checked behind on the turn and he put you all in on the river, it would be a tougher fold, as he looks like he might be bluffing.

BTW with his image, calling your PF raise is not horrible if he thinks he can stack you or BB. He closes the action after all, preflop. Making this call for 3% of his stack means he is getting about 15/1 on your stack. Not a horrible play against two players and closing the action. ( I wouldn't make it though ).