View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part II

[ QUOTE ]
I most definitely have never said that you should believe ME because I am this or that. I have said that virtually EVERYBODY with a lot of experience in the poker world says that the odds are against making it as a full time pro.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a fact that no one has long-term experience with making it as an online poker pro.

The B&M experience is relevant, but only in a general way. The life experience of professional sports bettors and stock market speculators is probably equally relevant.

Have you noticed that the more successful online players are predominantly people who previously had no serious stake in the B&M world? Why are wet-behind-the-ears kids running rampant in the new environment? Why aren't more of the seasoned B&M pros cleaning up online?

That's a very provacative overgeneralization and I'm sure there are a lot of answers. But one thing that strikes me repeatedly is that "online poker" is a very different game from poker. Many of the ideas that strong B&M players have brought with them truly do not apply online or at least need to be seriously modified.

The most successful online players are the ones that get that. Many are simply fresh eyes who react to what they see online and don't even realize they are trampling on dogma. Others are old line B&M players who truly embrace the most fundamental poker truth. Adapt or perish.

The players making the most money online are often not the ones with the best strategic understanding of poker. Multitabling, sophisticated monitors, software tools, data mining, reads based on stats, bonus whoring, rakeback, 15-minute table sessions, and many other new things matter very, very much.

So I don't blame the kids for being reluctant to listen. Slavish adherence to B&M advice is not what got them here.

Of course ignoring your elders is not such a clever plan either. Much B&M wisdom remains very relevant. The important thing is to listen and then think for yourself.

My view is that for online pros the B&M model is too restrictive. The problems these kids are facing are the same ones that afflict musicians, athletes, small business startups, and anyone living in an immature and undercapitalized industry.

Be realistic about your personal potential as a player. Save your money. Act like a professional. Develop your talent to the maximum. Keep informed. Be prepared for change. Bring a parachute.

Basic stuff for the NFL rookie, future rock star, or newly minted online pro.