View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Atlantic City loose ring game strategy.

I have a good bit of experience playing 1-2 in AC, as well as some 2-5, and I have observed the 5-10. I certainly agree with you that most people there play very loose, but they are also often passive and demonstrate no understanding of pot odds. (Flush draws are often unfoldable to your opponents).

I think all of this makes these games exceptionally beatable, though I am not sure I would try your strategy of buying in short. At 1-2, I try to play pretty tight and if anyone has limped in my opening raise is to 15. In my experience this gets most people to fold complete garbage. What you should take into account is that the stacks are often very deep compared to the blinds, so there are often incredible implied odds. I would advocate playing any pocket pair in any position because you wilt paid off when you make a set. Also, if this is not obvious don't press when you miss with AK in a multiway pot. You can win a lot in these games without bluffing, ever.

Think about this. If you fold every hand at 1-2, each orbit costs you $3, and when you win a pot on average say you take down $30 (although I think it is probably 50 or more). After winning one pot you can fold the next hundred hands and be even, allowing you to wait for a very premium holding. (You should be dealt AA or KK once every 110 hands on average.)

If you can play well with respect pot odds, I think middle pairs and suited connectors can be played VERY profitably in these games. Also,don't be afraid to value bet the river with what you might consider a modest final holding (TPTK or two pair), these hands will pay off at an astonishingly high rate as people seem unable to fold clearly second best hands.

Hope that helps. For the record I do not at all play this rockish online, but when surrounded by maniacs it seems profitable to play the opposite way of the table. They are Loose/Passive so play Tight/Aggressive.