View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Playing against pre-flop re-raise?

Sorry, this is a really beginner question, but this always gets me. I did a quick search, but all that comes up are specific hands, and that doesn't help.

How do you play against a pre-flop re-raise? Say in a 6-max $50NL table, I'll open UTG+1 with QQ and get raised by the button. Sometimes I'll play it for set value, but if the board comes low, what am I to do then?

Or a tougher one, AK. I generally don't like calling a re-raise with this hand, I'd rather fold or re-raise back. I'm just never really sure when to do what.

If it's an all-in re-raise, I go by a strict rule of going all-in pre-flop only with AA or KK, but I see so many morons going with AQ, QQ, JJ, am I missing profits?

Another very tough spot is when I re-raise a guy who opened and then he re-raises me back. I usually only do this with AA, KK, QQ, and AKs/o. With AA and KK, if he re-raises, it's just a matter of putting him all in now or on the flop. With QQ, I'll fold or call for set value (if his stack is deep enough and the raise is small). What beats me is the AK, seems like if I flop a pair, I won't get action unless I'm beat.