View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Passive Play w/ Puny Pocket Pair

This hand feels like you couldn't decide whether you wanted to play it or not.

Many times, if I'm at a tight pre-flop and aggro post-flop table like this, I fold this pre-flop. If not, I raise. Here's why: I play this hand for one of two reasons: for its set value, or for its intrinsic value as a PP. Chances are, if your table is tight, you aren't getting odds to put your $ in preflop and hope that you spike a 5. So at this table, I'm not limping in and hoping I make my set.

However, if table is tight and you can get HU or 3 to the flop, you have a decent chance of taking it down UI. You are a little better than a coinflip against hands people love to play postflop like AK, KQ, etc. You may also occasionally hit a straight draw (or your set), and you have decent implied odds if you do because your competition will have a tough time putting you on a 5 with a pfr. But if you have 3 or more opponents and don't hit your set, your odds of winning are pretty dismal.

So, FWIW, I personally would decide preflop if I'm folding or raising; if I raised, and I got your flop, I would definitely bet out.

By the way, everybody else may hate this. This is just how I'd play it.