View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Donkeys and elephants

Norman Podhoretz. There you go. I know how to spell his name but thanks for pointing that out for me. You are awesome.

If you read the article correctly, you would understand the point was that many intelligence agencies past and present believed what Bush believed. He didn't lie or mislead the people. He acted on intelligence that so far has been proven incorrect (not all of it; see the uranium in Niger claim) I don't know how you don't think the intelligence was convincing. Clinton thought it did in 1998 when he bombed Iraq. The Kurds knew Saddam had used WMDs and had the potential to do it again. But forgive me for straying into this topic.

[ QUOTE ]
I know what the intelligence was (at least, I know those parts that were made public; I'm no spook). And the intelligence was far from convincing. Of course, to understand this you need to get rid of your colored glasses. Something which a neo-con is usually unable to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for having an open mind. I love how someone with a differing view on an issue must be delusional or simply biased. I read the article and came to the conclusion that the intelligence was faulty, bush as of now has been wrong about wmds being in iraq, but he did not purposely mislead the american people. multiple high level commissions on this topic support my conclusions. but i must be delusional. theres no way i just have a different opinion based on credited information. You disagree yet you probably have credible info to support your position.

[ QUOTE ]
But as far as the Middle East is concerned and the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, yes, absolutely, the United States has followed, assisted and supported Israel in everything and every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. I give two examples. 1) Yom Kippur War. Israel surrounds the Egyptian army, but withdraws as a result of direct US pressure. The US was right in asking this, if we were to assume your theory was correct, the US would have allowed Israel to destroy the entire army and capture Cairo and start WW3. 2) Under US pressure, Israel withdraws from the Suez. Also lets not forget the concessions made by Israel (land for peace) because of direct pressure from the US.

[ QUOTE ]
Even at its most preposterous. Even when Israel practicaly spat at the face of America. Need I remind you what Ariel Sharon made of Bush's all-important Roadmap? Need I bring USS Liberty again, for you to see the folly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are your serious? Every report and inquiry into the USS Liberty tragedy concluded it was an accident. There was no reason for Israel to purposely attack America. No good could have come out of it and Israel knows it. Israel has its faults but bringing up this event makes me wonder about your true feelings about Israel. Also, you say Sharon spat in the US face by rejecting the roadmap, yet you say nothing of every instance where Arab governments openly call for the destruction of the US.

Since it is on my mind, where was your condemnation of Iran's new president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, for calling for the annihilation of Israel. I suppose you wouldnt mind.

[ QUOTE ]
This American support for the most de-stablizing factor in the world scene, Israel, has been a bi-partisan folly, all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, because Israel exists, it is a destablizing factor in the world. To say we should remove our support for israel to appease the arab world is insane and morally reprehensible. Firstly, it would quite possibly lead to the end of israel and you know this. Second, if you think that removing support for israel will stabilize that region, then why not submit to the will of the islamic world that wants women removed from society, all non muslims delegated to the lowest class or worse, and america destroyed. that would stablize the world so why not do it. You want increased support for palestinians and other arab countries and decreased support for israel. so you basically want increased support for countries that have far worse human rights records than israel and a government (palestinian) that steals from its people and aids terrorism. Now tell me how I'm completely wrong because I am conservative and support israel.