View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: knock, knock. Who\'s there?

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is fair to say that the thing doing the thinking is the brain, and the thing making the statment (since it must be thought)is the brain, so it is fair to say "I think."

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems strange, at best, to start a statement with - "I" think - that goes on to claim " the thing doing the thinking is the brain"
If you want to remove "I" from the 3 entities involved then go fer it, but you can't bring a 3rd entity in to prove there are only two.

My claim is that there are 3 entities involed. A brain, thinking, Me. They are not on equal footing ( they can't claim "all entities are created equal") and the relationships are not equal. 'Me and thinking" is a different type of relationship than the one between "thinking and brain". There is no direct relationship between "Me and brain"... it's along the lines of ring species.
The action of bike-riding requires a bike for the action to occur. There's no need to credit the bike with anything but supplying the necessary underpinnings, the hardware for the action to occur on.

Being self-aware puts me in control of the thinking, it's a recursive, emergent property. The "me-ness" doesn't belong to the brain, it belongs to the action of thinking.

hope that helps, poke away at soft spots,
thanks, luckyme