View Single Post
Old 09-19-2003, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Meanwhile, among the other sneetches ....

I've never heard of such a thing, although I wouldn't be surprised that Palestinian school children participate in plays glorifying martyrdom. (Understand something: whenever a civilian is gunned down by the IDF, the common phrase among Palestinians is that "he was martyred"). The pro-Israel propaganda machine loves to equate "martyrdom" with "suicide bomber martyrdom," as you constantly do yourself.

I can't believe that anyone who knows the first thing about this conflict could be suprised that there is a cultural emphasis on resistance, sacrifice and victimization among the Palestinians.

"Actually I believe you could accurately call the suicide bombing organizations 'death-cults.' They may have political reasons in part, sure, but they have by now surpassed mere resistance or politics and entered the realm of true cultism. They are cults, plain and simple, with all the attendant religious fanaticism and delusional outlooks."

I agree, but would say something similar about the military cult that runs Israel: it's revolving circle of commanders and spies is compelled beyond all reason to enforce a universally detested occupation that's not even very popular in Israel, yet can't find any way out because of its cultish addiction to power and its inability to acknowledge Palestinian legitimacy. As Marwan Barghoutis' wife said, in effect: "Israel is not so much a country with an army but an army with a country."