View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Restating the Paradox

[ QUOTE ]
Restating the Paradox

I realize there is already a free will thread, and an omniscience/omnipotence thread, but I think this is worthy of a new one. I don't think a logical refutation of this is possible.

Premise 1: God is Omnipotent and Omnicient.
Premise 2: God created humans.
Premise 3: Those humans have free will.

This logically does not follow. Here is why:

If God is omnipotent, he can create things. He can create an infinite number of things. Since he is also omnicient, how knows the exact result of creating each of those infinite possible creations. Let's say he chooses one of the possible creations to create. How can that creation possibly have free will if God knows exactly what it will do, and chose to create that specific being over an infinite number of other possible beings he could create? By choosing to create that being, he also chose it's fate, therefore it does not have free will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always figured this is reconciled by the fact that God, were he to exist, would transcend the man-made concept of chronology, then I try to wrap my head around the concept of a God existing outside of the dimensions we're constrained to, thereby he could 'see' everything that has, and will, happen along the "Time" dimension despite the fact that we haven't got there yet. Once I try, and fail, to visualize 4-dimensional spacetime with some old guy outside of it staring in like a Peeping Tom, I usually just go play a game of Madden 2005.