Thread: Flop Play 20-40
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Flop Play 20-40

[ QUOTE ]
Examine your reasons for wanting to play a suited connector HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that lmd's hand is offsuit but I'll try to tackle this for two-way and three-way pots.

In a three-way pot where the blinds two opponents have showed pre-flop aggression AND are likely to continue with aggression post flop, 76o has very little straight equity when it flops a draw. If it flops a pair (35% chance) AND the flop is otherwise OK (but not great) most players are going to be bet off their hand or buried as second best much too often. That's where I'm having trouble finding the equity in calling. Of course things may be different for a player as tough as lmd.

In a two-way pot against a very tight, tough raiser my default play is to fold unless the opponent has a pattern of over attacking my blinds. But against a not so tough raiser I'm going to flop enough pairs (getting 3.5 to 1 on my call) and outplay my oppnent on our misses often enough postflop to make it worth it.

Another way of looking at it is that I find it's a lot easier and profitable to defend oneself when weak if you aren't being attacked from two spots.

-----

Soft of but not completely off topic: In a full ring game you defend with 76o (and similar hands) when up against five or more opponents (Tommy Angelo may disagree [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) mostly because of the equity derived from your straight draw.

Need to go to sleep and I'll try to respond (or defend myself) tomorrow. Hope lmd gets off his knob and chimes in.

~ Old Man Rick