View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Forgive me for asking, but...

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm in the middle of a huge (200 BB) downswing"

Every time I read something like that, I wonder what kind of swings I've been through, and really, I have no idea, because I always get bogged down on time units, which happens eventually anytime score-keeping comes up.

What does "downswing" mean? Does it mean we win no pots at all? Or one pot per hour? Or per 100? Or is "downswing" a word that everyone has agreed to calculated by the session? So a 200BB downswing would mean no winning sessions during some period that is defined by there being no winning sessions in it. Okay, I think I see it now. And it looks like self-torture to me. But let's say we say that "downswing" is a by-the-sessions thing, well, in that case, how long a break between playing determinines the end of one session and the start of another? An hour? Two? 24?

If there is some specific need to compare something to something, then looking back at records can be a good play. Otherwise, I think it is a waste of physical and emotional energy and therefore -EV.

Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy, a downswing in our terms is the # of big bets down from a peak. For example, if someone is up 30k this month at 30-60, but ends the month up only 15k, they had a 250 BB downswing.