View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: The MMMMMM \"race issue is DEAD\" challenge

The problem with your challenge is that racism isnt the in your face easily noticeable entity that it was a long time ago. It is a much subtler, almost conspiratorial type of entity. That said, I spent most my time growing up in the South. Racism is alive and well. It has become more "sophisticated" if you will, with modern day bigots making claims like they are only predjuciced against certain kinds of black people and other such nonsense. As for personal observation, Ill throw in two of my more vivid recollections. The first was a week of numerous outbreaks of violence on campus between the blacks and the good ol' boys at my school, brought about by several attacks on some black kids in our school coupled with a surge in advertising and vocal support for the KKK. The second was my being attacked by a group of about 8 good ol' boys which resulted in a broken blood vessel in my eye the day before I had to visit the optometrist for the eye examination which was part of my phyiscal examination for entrnace in the Naval Academy. If I had been a hit a little harder or been a little less adept at defending myself or any of a host of "might haves" I might have not been able to realize the dream that I had held for most of my young life. The reason I was attackedwas for having the termerity to drive my basketball teamates (myself and one other member of the team were white) home from practice and then compounding my "mistake" by mouthing off to one of the good ol' boys who didnt like this practice of mine. Since then I have encountered other instances of racism, though none quite so direct as those, but more of subtle attitudes observed, etc.

I personally dont think Affirmative Action is a great thing at this time. But it sure as hell isnt because I think racism is dead.