View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 03:03 PM

Default NL beginner seeks advice on how to deal with \"trapper\"

Hi. I'm a relative NL newbie who has been playing a .25/.25 $25 buyin for a couple of months with my home game group. I'm up money since we started the NL cash game, but I realize this doesn't really mean much. One of the players which I have the most trouble with is a player who loves to trap me. Either he traps, and I fold, and he wins, or he traps and I call, and he wins. He's very good at playing loose preflop. I come from a limit mindset, so I think I tend to set myself up for this (typical action would go like: Preflop: I raise, he calls. Flop: I bet, he calls, Turn: I bet he calls, River: I bet or check, he bets or raises signifantly, and i either fold/call) Normally with disasterous results. He'll call a PFR from me with nearly any two suited that he's already invested in the pot in. He might fold if the raise is upfront, but even if it isn't, the table we play at is so loose, I'M tempted to call with any two decent suited cards in LP (we play 9-6 handed, normally around 7)

So. I'm left in a dilemma. With a few exceptions, he's taking my money, and I'm not taking his. Is there any thing or combination of things I can work on in order to fight back a bit? I aplogize for the lack of specific hands.

-Alpha