View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Raising for free cards/ buying outs with draws PLO...

A situation that i seem to run into a lot- i'm trying to figure out when/if it's appropriate to raise the flop when in position to try for a free card on the turn and/or protect my draws/buy outs... my hold 'em skills don't seem to translate well:

Hypothetical example:

assuming 100BB sacks and half-decent(non-donk) opponents: In an unraised pot with 3-5 players to the flop, you pick up a decent straight draw with a non-nut flush draw- say 15 outs IF they're all good (unlikely). you're in position.

There is a pot-size bet in front of you and a caller. you think your equity at this point is likely about even with the villains'. pot is around 15-20BBs and you:

-fold, don't draw to non-nuts?
-call and draw cheaply?
-raise a bit to take control, maybe get a free card?
-raise a lot/pot it to try to force out draws that dominate yours, maybe buy the pot right there, and/or get a free card?
-what about non flush or straight draws, like a set of fives on a 456 flop? would any of these apply?

In a NLHE game, a reasonable raise with a draw would be my standard play, going for the free card, primarily, but also to disguise my hand if i hit the turn, maybe buy it right there- protecting/buying outs doesn't really factor into this descision often in HE.

...but this is PLO, and i am confused. the chance of the top set (nuts-for-now) being out there, or a bigger, better, nuttier S or F draw leads me to fear re-raises. With a flat call, though, one could be letting a naked nut flush draw in (which may fold to a raise), counterfeiting some outs.

so:

what situations, opponents, reads, etc, would make one of those plays superior to the others?

I've been turning this one over in my head a lot, it's been one of the most challenging spots as i learn PLO... some of my speculations: for example, if, instead of 100BB stacks, it was really deep... i'd think making the big riase would be worth it more often, given that i'd have enough to continue to make meaningful bets, the raise wouldn't kill the implied odds, and so on. Against solid opponents, just call and wait to see what hapens. Against weak/ loose players, i might want to fold.. that nut flush draw isn't going anywhere... i want the nuts against donks, right?

hmmmm.... Thoughts? am i missing applicable PL or omaha specific concepts?