View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Another Question For Protestants

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like any good protestant I hold scripture to be the sole infallible rule of faith and doctrine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer me this then. How did the Catholic Church "get it right" when it compiled the books into the Cannon that would ultimately become the Bible as we know it in the 4th Century, yet subsequently lose its authority to preach authoritively on matters of Faith and Doctrine? Must that authority have been in place at the time of the Bible's compilation?

It often seems Protestants conveniently forget the first 1500 years of Christianity consisted of the Catholic Church and the Catholic Church alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice that the substance of my post is not what is being criticised. I have made a case from the Bible - the Bible that both Roman Catholics and Protestants hold as authoritative. Rather than deconstructing the larger argument, you address a tongue in cheek comment made in passing and seem to be attempting to diminish the authority of scripture. Curious.

By the way, I do not buy your premise of how we came to accept the canon of scripture, but it is off topic and largely irrelevant to the matter at hand -- unless of course some of the scriptures that I quoted you do not consider inspired.