View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: On Hume and order in nature

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the rest of what you say. I'm not sure what you mean by "order in the universe is axiomatic," unless you just mean something like we can observe that nature is uniform and therefore can accept it as a given.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean is the fact that we exist alone is enough to show that the uniform is indeed ordered. Even if the laws change through space "somehow", there is at least order where we are. Life would not be possible without chaos. And as I said, this doesn't address the future, only the present. Life itself is proof enough that the universe is ordered. It wouldn't be possible in chaos. Axiomatic = self-evident. It's self-evident.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure you understand Hume's point. Hume is talking about what he calls "unobserved matters of fact"--which in the case of induction have to do with things in the future or things unobserved (like in some far away part of the universe). Observing that nature is uniform 'right now' in our corner of the universe is beside the point, because Hume is not talking about what we have already observed or seen to have happen. He is talking about the future, or about what we cannot or at least have not observed, so the observation that nature is uniform in our location at the moment is beside the point.