View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Maybe slightly OT - $ share in MTT winnings

I think we misunderstood your use of the word 'friends'. This dude was never your friend. He was just a slug who used you for your poker skills.

FWIW, I think it is very important to try to find a 'right' answer to these types of questions, especially when friends are involved. Especially if you are serious about your game. I compare it to many examples from real life. I have a real estate investment, when I was asking my friends to work on the house, I insisted they charge me their going rate. They, of course tried to refuse the money. But I explained, that if they were putting in windows at my home, I would be willing to accept their generous gift of their skills, but this wasnt my house, this was business. They werent doing me a favor, they were trying to hand me money.
If you dont make business, business, you are asking for trouble in the long term. Can you imagine how pissed my friends would be if they were constantly putting windows in my homes, and I was driving up to thank them in a Jag.

The point is, if you are really friends, and this is a one shot deal, the onus is on the original player to be overly generous for the sake of the friendship, and it is on the 2nd player to refuse the large gift. (just like the example above, with a single tournament being 'my home'). When it isnt a one shot deal, it really has to be looked at like a business, b/c that is what it is.