View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Suited connectors in raised pots

Evan-

From my (limited) experience, mid-level suited connectors tend to be most (only?) profitable in hands where you can be assured that your opponent is on a big hand - AA, KK, QQ, AKs - and is more than likely the kind of player who falls in love with such a hand even when they don't improve on the flop, or makes something like TPTK. From my experience, the higher the levels you step, the less common this type of player is . . . but you can always find a fish who will play like this. Furthermore, I think it is important to have position in such hands... it can be very awkward trying to play a big draw against a calling station when you act first.

I dont like to play connectors against weak/tight players who will lay down, or a thinking player who can assess the situation. I only find myself able to play them profitably against fish who get married to their hand pre-flop, and carry on from there, and are willing to go hard - often to the felt -- with an overpair or TPTK. But i'm no expert.

I try to see a flop with one of these players under the right circumstances, and if you can manage to flop big and break one of these players with a large stack, it can often pay off the many times you'll have to make the call in order to see the right flop.

Just my .02, eager to hear other's opinions.

-Todd