View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: When to fold the overpairs?

I've misplayed a ton of overpairs recently too. What I'm learning from reading here is along the following lines (full ring play). Would appreciate critique from OP or anyone else.

1. Unless you're talking QQ-AA, play small or dump it. 99 with an 8/5/3 flop, that's an overpair, but you're still extremely weak and vulnerable. You missed your set on the flop; don't hesitate to just dump the hand to any serious action. Future overcards and lots of other things will kill you. Especially if you get raised, you're probably already behind, and if you're not your reverse implied odds are staggering.

2. QQ-AA, position matters hugely. OOP and unimproved, bet the flop hard, but esp. for QQ prepare to gear down or bail quickly after that. That doesn't mean check/fold the turn, just be very careful about getting pot-committed. QQ OOP played for stacks has got to be a long term loser. In position, just play pot control. Keep it small unless you have a strong read.

3. Reads matter hugely, and if you have a read, play it all the way. I suck at reads and multi-table, so my default is to play like all I have is a pair -- conservatively.

4. If you're unlucky enough to be playing multiway, be even more inclined to check the flop and just let it go. Not always, but consider it strongly. Play the pair for set value, and if you miss, be inclined to release (especially OOP, again).

I know this sounds weak/tight and situation matters a great deal, but if you're butchering high pairs left and right like I've been doing, I think these points help you find ways to let go, which is probably what you need to do more often.