View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Need Help - Mental Problem with the Game

Hi

Sounds like a matter of dealing with the swing. You cashed out 180BB, so prior to that I bet you took down a few good hands. I bet you busted a few high two-pairs with small trips, busted a straight with a flush, etc.

I don't know about you, but when catch a card on the river that improves what I already thought was a winning hand, and then find out - wow, I really did need that third 10, the other guy had pocket JJs..... I soon forget about my good fortune. We are all egocentric, so we figure we deserve it. And by God, we played the hand right, so what the heck. It's not like you dragged garbage to the river and won. Right?

But when we are on the other end, life sucks and we DON'T quickly forget our bad beats.

1. We remember our busted JJ angainst some idoit with 10s.
2. With think how fishy we must look when we keep leading into losing hands.
3. We start to play good hands defensively. We are not worried about maximizing pots, but minimzing the cost of a bad beat.
4. Maybe we even think we suck

Here's what I do.

I shut down and review the hands to see if I played poorly or just had some bad beats. I make sure I have not loosed up out of frustration.

I change tables lots so I feel like I can get a fresh image.

PS. I also have some hands saved in which I took down pots I should have probably lost. I go look at them to remind me that beats swing both ways.

If you are good, "long-term" is on your side...

Good luck